Sam handles Energy & Environment matters with a focus on contracts and regulation in the energy, waste and low carbon sectors. He has extensive experience acting for a variety of clients ranging from large power and utilities companies to SMEs looking to develop small on-site renewable electricity generation facilities. Sam has prepared and negotiated commercial contracts in the sector for over a decade and has a deep understanding of the market. He advises on electricity regulation and incentives being implemented as part of the government’s Net Zero targets. Sam also has expertise in non-contentious environmental matters including on permitting, regulation, contaminated land and environmental and waste services procurements and PPP. He works closely with our Real Estate, Corporate and Banking teams providing expert environmental and energy input into land transactions, M&A and financings. He also advises on general Commercial matters. Before joining Temple Bright in 2021, Sam worked at Burges Salmon.
Relevant experience at Temple Bright and previous firms includes:
- Advising a national retailer on the electricity supply arrangements for its distribution centre’s 6.6 MW rooftop solar project, at the time the largest rooftop solar project in the UK.
- Advising a hydrogen generation business on its hydrogen-based energy storage and clean fuel business including real estate agreement and power purchase agreements with the Housing and Communities Agency.
- Assisting a national electricity supplier on its acquisition of a portfolio of 637 MW (231 MW Scotland, 406 MW France) including due diligence procedure and reporting to client together with close liaison with French lawyers in respect of the French projects. Preparing a report for all projects covering grid, power purchase construction, planning, real estate and associated advice on SROC eligibility and CFD eligibility. Preparing board papers for the company board to inform their bid.
- Advising a small renewable energy developer on its portfolio of small wind projects including advice on power offtake, grid connection and energy regulatory matters.
- Advising equity investors on the development of and investment in a significant portfolio of farm scale (and larger) AD plants, including a number of biogas to grid plants.
- Advising a water company on its acquisition of an operational anaerobic digestion facility. Advice on all aspects of acquisition of operational AD and compost facilities from the seller, due diligence on the project, and amendments required to the project agreement to enable the transaction.
- Advising a large US fuel supplier on its review of waste law across numerous jurisdictions, including trans-frontier shipment and Basel export arrangements and international waste supply contracts to support its ambitious plans for trading solid recovered fuel as a global commodity.
- Advising various renewable energy developers on offtake power and renewable benefits purchase agreements with Statkraft, Npower, Opus, GDF Suez and EDF.